Safety Thoracentesis System
The features of the Turkel™ safety thoracentesis system include a blunt safety cannula, housed within the sharp, bevelled hollow needle and a safety colour change indicator.
- The spring-loaded blunt safety cannula extends beyond the needle bevel, protecting the underlying tissue from further, inadvertent penetration.
- The one-way duck bill valve allows air and fluid to escape from the needle yet prevents atmospheric air from entering into the pleural space to prevent accidental pneumothorax during procedure.
- As the needle moves through the chest wall and into the pleural space, the indicator displays: GREEN – The blunt tip safety cannula is exposed – not cutting; RED – The cutting edge of the needle is exposed – cutting.
- Automatic ball valve snaps into place occluding the opening of the catheter when the needle is withdrawn.
- In-line stop cock
- Polyurethane catheter-over-needle design
- The 1 cm depth marks on the catheter shaft facilitate assessment of the catheter location during procedure.
- Multiple side holes in the distal shaft increase the area for drainage.
- Provides convenient access to drainage assembly while maintaining a closed system.
It is used for:
- Undiagnosed pleural effusion – fluid sample analysis for blood cell count, glucose, lactate dehydrogenase, protein and cytology.
- Therapeutic thoracentesis - alleviation of pressure on the affected lung.
Causes of pleural effusion:
- Congestive heart failure.
- Pneumonia, tuberculosis, rheumatoid arthritis or systemic lupus erythematosus.